How To Pick the Right Pair of Glasses
January 25, 2022
Just like any other accessory that you wear every day, your glasses are something that you want to pick according to what is right for you. They should be comfortable, stylish, and show the world who you are. At Anh Nguyen Ophthalmology we will provide help when you pick your glasses, but it is a good idea to know what to look for.
Starting Out with Choosing Glasses
The first thing you should consider is what size you need your glasses to be. You want them to fit well, ensuring they are big enough for your face without constantly slipping down. The best way to find the right fit is to try them in-person, but you can also take measurements yourself or ask your eye doctor to assist you.
Picking the Right Type of Glasses
Not everyone needs the same type of glasses.
- Single-vision lenses. These work for only one vision distance, usually correcting for near or far. These would be traditional glasses and “readers”.
- Progressive lenses. These work for multiple vision distances, usually correcting for distance vision at the top of the lens and near vision at the bottom.
- Polarized lenses. These help reduce glare by cutting down on the amount of reflected light that passes through them.
- UV blocking lenses. Also called “prescription sunglasses,” these combine the UV protection of sunglasses with the vision correction of traditional glasses.
There are a few things to consider when choosing the right pair of frames for you:
- Face shape. The frame shape that works best for you depends on your face shape. The general rule is that opposites attract. If you have a rounder face, then more rectangular frames would be better. If you have a more square face, then rounder frames would be better.
- Skin tone. Skin tones can be roughly divided into “warm” (bronze or brown) and “cold” (pink). Generally, you want to pick frames which color is similar to your skin tone instead of contrasting.
- Lifestyle. Think about how you are going to spend your time: do you want frames that can withstand the rigors of an active lifestyle, or are you looking for frames that conform to a business environment?
- Personality. What do you want your frames to say about you? Do you want frames that give off a fun-loving energy, or ones that communicate more of a get-down-to-business style?
Make an Appointment
If you feel concerned about your vision, or would simply like to have your eyes checked, schedule an appointment at Anh Nguyen Ophthalmology by calling (703) 534-4393 or requesting your appointment online.
Four Factors to Choosing Eyeglass Frames. VSP Vision Care | Vision Insurance. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2021, from https://www.vsp.com/eyewear-wellness/lasik-glasses-lenses/how-to-choose-glasses.
Thinking about new glasses? 5 steps to choose the right frames. Eyeconic Blog. (2019, January 29). Retrieved September 10, 2021, from https://blog.eyeconic.com/fashion-and-trends/5-steps-choose-new-glasses..html.
Types of eyeglass lenses. Essilor Eyeglass Lenses. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2021, from https://www.essilorusa.com/lens-innovation/types-of-eyeglass-lenses.