Do I Really Need Cataract Surgery?
August 8, 2023
What are Cataracts?
- Cataracts occur when the eye’s lens becomes cloudy. This can occur when proteins in the eye break down. Aging is the most common cause, as normal eye changes begin to occur after age 40.
- Those over 60 years often start to have some clouding of their lens, though vision problems might not occur until years later.
- Most cases of age-related cataracts develop slowly over time, though other cataracts may develop more quickly, such as those in patients with diabetes or who have had retinal surgery.
- Symptoms of cataracts: blurry vision, double vision, sensitivity to light, having trouble seeing well at night (halos or glare around lights), seeing bright colors as looking faded or yellow instead.
Can Cataracts Be Prevented?
- Cataracts cannot be prevented.
- You may be able to slow the development of cataracts by protecting your eyes from the sun. Wearing sunglasses when outdoors or eyeglasses with a clear anti-UV coating.
When is Cataract Surgery Needed?
- Surgery is usually recommended if your impaired vision due to cataracts begins to affect your ability to carry out normal daily activities such as reading or driving.
- If left untreated, cataracts can eventually block light from entering the eye, leading to vision loss.
- To diagnose cataracts, your ophthalmologist will examine your eyes through a comprehensive eye exam. This may also include a slit lamp exam, retinal exam, and refraction and visual acuity test.
About Cataract Surgery
- During cataract surgery, your surgeon will remove the cloudy lens from the eye.
- This lens will be replaced with an artificial lens, called an intraocular lens (IOL).
- Our team will discuss IOLs with you and how they work, and your options.
- While cataracts are a common cause of vision loss, they can be treated. Do not hesitate to reach out to your ophthalmologist to discuss diagnosis and treatment to help preserve your vision for years to come.
Schedule an Appointment
If you are interested in learning more about cataract surgery and if this procedure is right for you, contact Anh Nguyen Ophthalmology in Falls Church, VA today and schedule an appointment with one of our skilled providers.