5 Tips For Healthy Eyes
October 8, 2021
We use our eyes every day for almost every single thing that we do. However, many people seem to take their eyes for granted. If you want to keep your eyes healthy, there are certain simple things that you can do. Below are some easy steps that you can follow to help keep your eyes healthy for a lifetime.
A person’s eye health begins with the food they consume. Nutrients such as Vitamins E and C, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and lutein, can help preserve your vision and protect your eyes from age-related diseases like macular degeneration. Here are some recommended foods and food groups you should consume for healthy eyes:
- Green leafy vegetables such as collards, spinach, and kale
- Citrus fruits such as oranges and fruit juices
- Tuna, salmon, and other oily types of fish
Whether at home or on the job, protective goggles or safety glasses should be worn in any area where airborne or hazardous materials are being used. Playing certain sports such as lacrosse, ice hockey, or racquetball can also cause eye injury. This is when eye protection is vital to protect the eyes from injury. You should also wear sunglasses when you go outside, because sunlight can cause the formation of cataracts and pterygiums.
Among other health concerns, smoking increases a person’s chances of developing macular degeneration and other eye problems. Quitting or decreasing the amount that you smoke can have a significant impact on your wellbeing.
When someone stares too long at a phone or computer screen, it can cause them to experience eye problems. Any of the symptoms below could be a sign that you spend too much time in front of the computer.
- Dry Eyes
- Neck, back, and shoulder pain
- Blurry Vision
- Difficulty focusing at a distance
There are certain things you can do to protect their eyes from these problems.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule to help prevent eye strain. Every 20 minutes, look 20 feet away for 20 seconds. It is also recommended to get away from the computer or phone for at least 15 minutes every two hours.
- Make sure certain prescriptions for contacts and glasses are current and work well when viewing a computer screen.
- Use artificial tears or blink more if experiencing dry eyes.
- Speak with an optician about prescription computer glasses.
- Use a chair that is supportive and comfortable to help with posture.
- Adjust your screen so your eyes are level with the top of the monitor. You should be able to look down at the screen just slightly.
Eye Doctor Visits
Regular eye exams are important for everyone including young children. It is a way to detect any type of eye-related disease, such as glaucoma, that may or may not present any symptoms. There are two different types of eye doctors a person can visit:
- Optometrists have taken four years of additional training in addition to college. They can provide people with general eye care as well as diagnoses and treatment for most eye diseases.
- Ophthalmologists are medical physicians who specialize in eye care. They provide people with general eye care as well as treat diseases. They are also trained to perform eye surgery, such as Lasik and cataract surgery.
Eye Health Care in Falls Church, VA
Anh Nguyen Ophthalmology is ready and able to help with any type of vision problem, from cosmetic procedures to laser vision correction. We treat patients with the latest surgical techniques and use the most cutting-edge technology. Learn more about our services and find out how we can help you achieve healthy eyes and clear vision by scheduling an appointment today. Get started by giving us a call at (703) 534-4393 or contacting us online.